Saturday, May 7, 2011

Curry rice from 888 Plaza Woodlands

Perhaps I have cheap taste buds, but I find that a satisfying plate of curry rice, or economical rice as it is more commonly termed nowadays, is more worth it than a meal at an expensive restaurant. I remember I LOVED the curry rice my grandfather bought for breakfast on Sunday mornings when I was young. It had the most fragrant curry and extremely crispy and tasty fried pork chop strips. I never had such a satisfying dish of curry rice until I discovered it by chance at a coffeeshop at 888 Plaza Woodlands. It's located at Woodlands Drive 50 / Woodlands Avenue 4. It's just next to the NTUC Supermarket.

It is a nondescript economical rice (to use the current common term), that hires quite a number of Chinese (i.e. migrants from People's Republic of China). I believe the cooks are from Malaysia because of the Malaysian chinese accent that they have. Anyway, most of the foodstalls in Singapore hire Malaysian Chinese because they are willing to work in the heat and in a very uncomfortable environment; many Singaporeans choose not to because of the conditions mentioned. (So sometimes there is reason to wonder why Singaporeans are complaining so much about these foreign talents when Singaporeans themselves don't want to do many of such jobs! If we don't hire these foreign talents to do these jobs, who is going to? Perhaps Singaporean spirits???)

Apologies for the digression; back to the food.

The deep fried pork chop strips are crispy and tasty! I have not tasted anything quite like that since I was young. Many other economical rice stalls, such as the VERY over-priced Scissors Rice, have such pork chop strips, but they don't quite have that taste, that texture, that fragrance. Usually my wife and I will have that particular dish as one of our food dishes in our packed economical rice. It's a must have for me and my wife. We have similar taste with regard to this dish. Writing about this makes my mouth water. Maybe I should pop by the stall for some economical rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment